Online Dating Etiquette for Men
First, what is online dating etiquette? The dictionary definition of "etiquette" is "rules governing socially acceptable behavior." Based on this definition, online dating etiquette would be defined as "the rules governing socially acceptable behavior when communicating with members of dating websites."
It is really easy to be anonymous on a dating website. You are hidden behind a nickname, so no one really knows you. This makes it easy to behave however you please, without regard to etiquette. As a responsible person, however, you should try to make online dating a fun place to be by adopting good manners and conduct. Everyone will benefit from this behavior.
Here is some simple online dating etiquette for communicating with women.
- Reply even when you are not interested. Should you reply to a woman if you are not interested? Unfortunately, people often just stay silent when they get a message from someone who does not interest them. They simply don't reply and ignore the message instead.
The right thing to do is to reply. Tell her politely that you do not think you're a good match and wish her good luck in her search. She will appreciate the reply, she will know you are not interested so she won't be wondering why you didn't reply, and she will be able to just move on.
- Be careful when asking personal questions. Is it okay to ask personal questions when dating online? When you are first getting to know someone, you should avoid asking such personal questions as "Where do you work?" or "What is your last name?" or "What is your phone number?"
Wait a little before asking personal questions. There is no specific amount of message exchanges or days you should wait. It all depends on the interaction you have with her and how she feels about giving out personal information.
When starting to communicate with her, you should work on creating between the two of you a sense of trust and an attraction. If you ask for personal information too soon, she might get suspicious or turned off.
- Be honest. Do not lie at any time when creating your profile or communicating with women on the Internet. Don't lie about your age, your body type, or anything else. In the end, it will just hurt you when she finds out about your lies and you end up having to justify them. That's a situation you don't want to get yourself into. Remember that no one likes to deal with liar.
- Hold off on talking about sex. Wait before talking with her about sex unless she brings up the subject first. Don't use sex to try to attract her. You will just be wasting your time. Work at making a good connection with her first, by talking about things she likes or things you have in common.
- Emailing twice only if you must. If you email a woman for the first time and she does not reply, you may want to wait at least a week before sending a second message. Women get overwhelmed by the amount of admirers' messages in their in-boxes. She might have deleted your message by mistake, she might not have paid attention to it, or she might not have been interested.
It is okay to email a second time just to make sure, but wait at least a week. You don't want to be pushy.
Online dating etiquette is about good manners and good behavior when communicating with other website members. Following good etiquette will make dating websites a better place to be, and everyone can win from it.
About the Author:
David Roy has over ten years experience working for dating websites. He is a writer on Ebook-Relationship.com and the author of "How to Meet Women Online". His practical guide depicts a true view of online dating universe, and is designed to help men in meeting women online.